Medical device and MedTech insights, news, tips and more
Medtronic Finally Unveils its New Robot-Assisted Surgery System
September 24, 2019
Medtronic has a robot-assisted surgery platform that is upgradeable, modular and able to perform both RAS and laparoscopic applications — an obvious answer to the da Vinci SP robot-assisted surgery platform made by Intuitive Surgical.
That appears to be the message out today from the world’s largest medical device company as it unveils its much-awaited robot-assisted surgery system — which is presently in its investigational phase of development.
Medtronic is scheduled to hold an investor update in Hartford, Conn. about the system this afternoon. But a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing about the event already includes some details — and a host of pictures.
Features of the newly unveiled investigational system include:
- There’s a tower, surgeon console, surgical end effectors, and robotic arm carts;
- The tower design is meant to provide the ability for the system to be universally used in both RAS and laparoscopic applications — with the system used across a broad spectrum of surgical procedures;
- The system is upgradeable and module;
- The surgical console design boasts an open architecture and three-dimensional, high-definition visualization;
- When it comes to the surgical end effectors, Medtronic is taking advantage of the expertise, know-how, and IP from its existing surgical instrumentation portfolio — which makes sense because the system’s instruments could be a big revenue source for the company;
- The robotic arm cart design is meant to be modular and portable;
- The arm boasts flexible positioning, with use of one or up to four arms in a procedure, and it uses Medtronic end effectors.
Bernstein analyst Lee Hambright said last month that the new system is set to launch outside the U.S. next year. Medtronic’s system could impact Intuitive’s business, he wrote, but he also thought the effect could be years away.
Written by: Chris Newmarker
Legacy MedSearch has more than 30 years of combined experience recruiting in the medical device industry. We pride ourselves on our professionalism and ability to communicate quickly and honestly with all parties in the hiring process. Our clients include both blue-chip companies and innovative startups within the MedTech space. Over the past 10 years, we have built one of the strongest networks of device professionals ranging from sales, marketing, research & , quality & regulatory, project management, field service, and clinical affairs.
We offer a variety of different solutions for hiring managers depending on the scope and scale of each individual search. We craft a personalized solution for each client and position with a focus on attracting the best possible talent in the shortest possible time frame.
Are you hiring?
Contact us to discuss partnering with Legacy MedSearch on your position.